ARRRGGGH! Like Charlie Brown who repeatedly finds himself on his back as Lucy pulls away the football, I felt enormous frustration. Charlie at least has the option of not trying to kick anymore. I, however, am stuck at the mercy of the healthcare system.
I will spare you all of the details, but this week I had a heated conversation with someone in my health insurance office because I was told a completely different story than the first time I tried to solve the problem, ending in me having to pay more money for a particular service.
So, let’s look at the big picture. This wasn’t my first time down this road. When my dad was ill, my mom and I faced multiple dilemmas that left us feeling helpless and confused. One time, they rescheduled one of my dad’s surgeries without my mom’s knowledge. She showed up at the hospital to find him already being operated on. They said they tried to call her, and when they couldn’t reach her they tried to contact his brother. My dad doesn’t have a brother. I still wonder what in the world occurred that day.
My sweet mama has already faced a couple of hiccups regarding her care for her recent breast cancer diagnosis. She handled the diagnosis like a champ. It’s been the ensuing miscommunication related dilemmas that have brought her to tears. This was all fresh in my mind as I spoke to my own insurance company and only furthered my irritation.
Friends, health crises are hard enough, but then when you add in all of the extra phone calls, red tape, paperwork, lack of information, and the like, it can be downright maddening. I’m sure many of you have experienced this, too.
We must support one another, and rally around each other.
One of my co-workers, Mindy Flick, is in the throes of this exact situation. Her husband is in need of a kidney transplant. While awaiting the kidney, he was laid off from his job, and forced to go on Medicare which only covers 80% of the surgery. He is now caught in a frustrating loophole that requires him to raise $60,000 for the other 20%.
This sweet lady shows up with a bright smile every day. I know her burdens are great, but she continues to love those around her well.
Please read more about their story on their blog here, but in the meantime here are some ways you could help right now:
- Pampered Chef – Kassi Shelton, party open until Oct. 12. Place orders here: http://www.pamperedchef.com/pws/kassi/guest-landing/8886060170395
- Online Auction – Melissa Bower (firstname.lastname@example.org), collecting giftable items and services to sell in an online auction. So far handmade baby items, a quilt, babysitting services, etc have been donated. The auction could really use more items. Items like baked goods, handmade items, Thirty-One, Pampered Chef, babysitting services, leaf raking services, gift cards, sports/events tickets – sky is the limit! Contact Melissa to donate by Oct. 11. Auction will be held Oct. 18-19, just in time to get started with holiday shopping! Check out the auction here: https://www.facebook.com/FlickAuction
- Bloomington – ECC trivia night – October 25, 7pm – come out for a fun family night to show off your trivia skills and knowledge! Contact Meredith Lulich for tickets at email@example.com
- Consider donating to their GoFund Me site: http://www.gofundme.com/flickneedsakidney
It is through the power of sharing that we can eradicate some of the trauma in the world. I am always humbled by the power of the “share” button. As a blog writer, whenever even one person shares one of my posts, my readership can double. Do not underestimate the power of your influence. Those who love you will show interest in the things you are interested in, too.
Yesterday,as I was waiting on my mom to come out of a store, I stood and watched a butterfly resting on the sidewalk. With this particular butterfly, what I noticed was that its true beauty was visible when its wings were extended. When we reach out to others for help, or reach out to those in need, that is when the beauty of humanity and the grace of God is evident.
Please share the Flicks’ story with your friends. Let’s help this precious family, and turn our frustration with the system into something life saving!
A closing note: I truly am appreciative of those who work in the healthcare profession. I believe it is the system that is the problem, not the people. We have been rescued many times by caring professionals who have helped show us the way. We are privileged to have access to the care that we do. Let’s not forget that!